6. Again another one came from afar and looked at the clock and greatly wondered when they explained to him all that the clock could perform. He thought each clock face should have its own driving mechanism which of course meant the tower would be connected to several different clocks. But when they explained to him that there was only one mechanism moving all the clock hands, he was totally upset because he thought that they were pulling a practical joke on him because of his ignorance, and he went away and did not inquire anymore about this clockwork.
7. And again, another one came from a foreign country and admired this clock and asked about the master of it, and they answered him: "The master craftsman of this clock was a very simple farmer, and it is not known whether he was able to read and write."
8. This correct answer terribly enraged the stranger, but he held his tongue about it and soon left because, as he felt, he had not come there in order to be treated as a stupid fool in such a gross manner.
9. And in this way, many of them came and asked as the first ones had, but when the townspeople wanted to let them into the secrets of this work of art, they all became angry and said: "Until we have seen this with our own eyes, we can’t believe it!"
10. And behold, they led them into the tower. But when they caught sight of the almost countless cogs there, the many levers, cylinders, hooks, rods and still a thousand other mechanical contraptions and connections, they were actually mad and shouted and screamed: "Who can figure out and comprehend this mechanism? No human being could have created it! It would take a hundred generations just to count all the components of this mechanism, let alone to create it!" And all these strangers went away, totally bewildered.
11. Only a few agreed to be instructed about the correctness of this mechanism, although the simple artificer, who had not been scientifically trained, remained more or less of a stumbling block to the few better ones.
12. What might this parable teach? What is its inner, secret meaning? Everybody should contemplate about it a little and thus practice seeking the inner truths and discover as much in it as is possible for him until, in due course, the complete solution will be given. Amen.
|Introduction||Mobile view About us|