|Chapter 21||The Great Gospel of John, Book 1|
7. Thus also your judgement, which you connect mainly with unbelief, sounds rather mysterious. If the judgement is neither a flood nor war or pestilence and also not a consuming fire, but only unbelief as such, to tell the plain truth, dear Master, I still cannot grasp the meaning of your words. For whoever does not comprehend just one or maybe two points of a speech fundamentally does not comprehend the entire speech. What actually does your `judgement' mean? What new meaning do you ascribe to this concept?'
8. Say I, 'My friend, soon I too could say to you: I find it hard to understand why you are unable to grasp the perfectly clear sense of My words. You say you do not understand the concept of `judgement' and I have made it so plain to you.
John 3:19: "This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were and are evil."
9. Behold, this is the judgment that not the God-light from the heavens has come into the world, but men having been released from the darkness and set into the light still by fare prefer the darkness to the Go-light now in abundance before their eyes. That men reject the light is proved by their works which are evil all through.
10. Where can you find an initial complete faith, where the right piety? Where does one love another, except he has some selfish motive? Where are those now who loved their wife for the sake of fertility? they love the young harlots for sensual pleasure, lechery and harlotry. for he who carries on with the other sex in downright idolatry of lust and fornication commits true harlotry, and this the evil of all evils. - Where is there a thief who would take a lamp and steal visibly?
John 3:20: "Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed."
11. Behold, all those who are ill-disposed and act accordingly are the ones whose works are bad. '"Whosoever loves and practices such acts is an enemy of the light, hates it and will do all in his power to avoid it, so that his evil works, which he knows are tabooed by the light and judged, should not in the light be recognised in their ugliness and punished.
12. And behold, therein consists the actual judgement, but what you understand as judgment, is not the judgement, but only a punishment following the judgment.
13. If you enjoy walking in the night, that is already a judgement of your soul, since you prefer the night to the day. But if you then knock against something and hurt yourself badly or even fall into a hole or deep ditch, such a knocking or fall is not the judgement, but only the consequence of the judgement within you who love the night and hate the day.
John 3:21: "But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen clearly that what he has done has been done through God."
14. If, however, you are a friend of the light, the day and the truth out of God, you will also act in accordance with divine truth and will surely long for your works to come to the light and be revealed to everyone, for you know that your works, because they were done in the light of truth out of God, are good and righteous and thus deserve appreciation and visible reward.
15. Therefore, who is a friend of the light will not walk in the night but by day, and he will recognise the light immediately, because he is from the light, and this light is called - faith of the heart.
16. Thus, whoever believes in the Son of Man that Jew is a light out of God, has already life within him. But who does not believe, has already the judgment within him, and the judgement is the very unbelief.
17. I think you will have understood Me now.'
|Chapter 21||Mobile view About us|