|Chapter 22||The Great Gospel of John, Book 1|
Continuation of the discussion. "There is no truth in man, except only love."
1. Says Nicodemus, 'Except for one thing everything is now clear to me, but the One is still missing, and that is the remarkable Son of Man himself without whom all your wise words with the splendid explanations are completely lost. What use is to me the belief or the best and firmest will to believe in the son of Man if he himself is not there? One cannot create for oneself a Son of Man from the air or purely an idea. Tell me, therefore, where I may find this eternal Son of God and be assured that I will fully believe in him.'
2. Say I, 'If I had not realised that, you would never have received these explanations from Me. But you came to Me by night and not by day, although you had heard and seen much of what I have done. However, since you came to Me during the natural night as well as the corresponding night of your soul, it is not hard to understand that you do not yet see your way concerning the `Son of Man'.
3. I tell you: If someone seeks the Son of Man by night, afraid to do so during the day in front of all the people, thus risking his reputation, he will not find what he is seeking. for you, as a very wise man among the Hews, will surely know that the night, whatever kind of night it may be, is not at all suitable for seeking and finding. - Therefore, who seeks the Son of Man must seek him by day and not by night, then he will allow himself to be found.
4. Only that I tell you: Go to John who because of the water is at present baptising at Aenon near Salim. He will tell you whether the only-begotten Son of God is already here or not. There you shall get to know him.'
5. Says Nicodemus, 'Oh, oh, dear Master, that will not be easy, for all my days are too busy. Bear in mind that in the city and nearest surroundings there are dwelling, including aliens, over 800,000 people whom I, as there head, have in my care. In addition to that I have to attend daily to temple business which cannot be put off. If this grace is not bestowed upon me here in Jerusalem, I shall have to forgo it. Look, I need for this undertaking at least three full days, and in my business this would be like three years for another person.
|Chapter 22||Mobile view About us|